In a major victory for cryptocurrency users, New Zealand’s High Court has declared all users of the defunct Cryptopia exchange as rightful owners of their digital assets.
Background On Cryptopia
Cryptopia was once one of the most popular cryptocurrency exchanges in the world. It was founded in 2014 and operated with no regulation or oversight. After a major hack in January 2019, the exchange went offline and suspended trading. Several class-action lawsuits were launched by cryptocurrency investors against Cryptopia claiming ownership of the illiquid digital assets.
High Court Rules In Favor Of Cryptopia Users
The High Court of New Zealand has now declared that all of the users of Cryptopia are owners of the digital assets held on the platform. The ruling is expected to set a precedent for similar disputes in other countries.
The ruling is based on the principle of "res tructa," which states that the ownership of property remains with the rightful owners even though the property cannot be accessed or its value is diminished.
Implications Of The Ruling
The ruling appears to be a major breakthrough for cryptocurrency users and is expected to have far-reaching implications.
Some of the possible implications of the ruling are:
- Greater Protection For Cryptocurrency Investors - The ruling is a sign that cryptocurrency investors will be better protected in the future as courts recognize their ownership of digital assets.
- Moral Obligation To Protect Investors - This ruling is likely to further put pressure on governments and regulators to help protect investors from fraudulent exchanges and thefts.
- Better Regulatory Framework - The ruling is likely to encourage greater attention to implementing better regulatory frameworks to protect investors.
The ruling of the High Court of New Zealand is a major victory for cryptocurrency users and is likely to have far-reaching implications in terms of better protection and regulation of digital assets. It is a sign that the tide is turning towards greater recognition and protection of cryptocurrency investors.
- #cryptocurrency investors,
- #illiquid digital assets,
- #res tructa,
- #Better Regulatory Framework,