Welcome to the wonderful world of wet grinders, where the aroma of freshly ground rice and lentils fills the air, and the sound of the stone grinder whirring away is music to your ears. In India, wet grinders are a staple in every household, especially in the south where dosas, idlis, and vadas are an integral part of the diet. Choosing the best wet grinder can be a daunting task with the plethora of options available in the market. But fret not, dear reader, for I am here to guide you through the top wet grinders in India.
What is a wet grinder?
For those who are uninitiated, a wet grinder is a kitchen appliance used to make a smooth batter from soaked grains, lentils, and pulses. It consists of two or three grinding stones, which are usually made of granite or marble, and a drum that holds the ingredients. The stones rotate on top of the drum, grinding the ingredients to a fine paste or batter. Wet grinders are particularly useful for making idlis, dosas, and vadas, which require a smooth and fluffy batter.
Top 5 wet grinders in India
Elgi Ultra Dura+ Wet Grinder: This is one of the most popular wet grinders in India, thanks to its sleek design and ease of use. The Elgi Ultra Dura+ comes with a capacity of 1.25 litres and is powered by a 85W motor. It has a patented conical grinding stone, which ensures that the batter is ground to a fine consistency. The wet grinder also has a batter cleaning system, which makes it easy to clean after use.
- Butterfly Rhino Plus Wet Grinder: The Butterfly Rhino Plus is a great option for those on a budget. It comes with a capacity of 2 litres and is powered by a 150W motor. The wet grinder has two grinding stones, which are made of stainless steel, and a transparent lid. The Butterfly Rhino Plus is also easy to clean, thanks to its detachable stainless steel drum.
- Panasonic MK-SW200BLK Wet Grinder: The Panasonic MK-SW200BLK is a high-end wet grinder that comes with a capacity of 2 litres. It is powered by a 240W motor and has a unique alpha flow technology, which ensures that the batter is ground to a fine consistency. The wet grinder also has a timer function, which allows you to set the grinding time and walk away.
- Prestige PWG 08 Wet Grinder: The Prestige PWG 08 is a versatile wet grinder that comes with a capacity of 2 litres. It is powered by a 200W motor and has a unique interlocking mechanism that ensures that the jar and the motor are securely locked in place. The wet grinder also comes with a coconut scraper and an atta kneader.
- Sowrna Lakshmi Wet Grinder: The Sowrna Lakshmi is a popular wet grinder that comes with a capacity of 2 litres. It is powered by a 150W motor and has two grinding stones, which are made of high-quality granite. The wet grinder also has a transparent lid, which allows you to keep an eye on the grinding process.
Factors to consider when buying a wet grinder
- Capacity: The capacity of the wet grinder is an important factor to consider, especially if you have a large family or if you often entertain guests. Wet grinders come in various sizes, ranging from 1.25 litres to 3 litres.
- Motor power: The motor power of the wet grinder determines its performance. A higher motor power ensures that the grinder can grind tough ingredients with ease. Wet grinders usually come with motor powers ranging from 85W to 240W.
- Number of grinding stones: Wet grinders come with either two or three grinding stones. Two-stone wet grinders are usually more affordable, while three-stone wet grinders are more efficient and grind faster.
- Material of the grinding stones: The material of the grinding stones is an important factor to consider, as it determines the durability and efficiency of the wet grinder. Granite and marble are the most commonly used materials for grinding stones, as they are durable and efficient.
- Ease of use: A wet grinder should be easy to use and operate, with user-friendly features such as a transparent lid, easy-to-clean drum, and simple controls.
- Price: Wet grinders are available at a range of prices, from budget-friendly options to high-end models. The price of the wet grinder should be in line with its features and performance.
Tips for using a wet grinder
- Soak the ingredients: Before using the wet grinder, it is important to soak the grains, lentils, or pulses for several hours. This helps to soften them and makes them easier to grind.
- Use enough water: When grinding the ingredients, make sure to use enough water to ensure a smooth and fluffy batter.
- Don't overload the drum: Overloading the drum can cause the wet grinder to malfunction. Make sure to only fill the drum up to two-thirds of its capacity.
- Clean the grinder after use: After using the wet grinder, it is important to clean it thoroughly to prevent the buildup of bacteria and mold. Clean the drum, grinding stones, and any other parts that come into contact with the ingredients.
Choosing the best wet grinder in India can be a difficult task, but with the right information, it can be made easier. The Elgi Ultra Dura+, Butterfly Rhino Plus, Panasonic MK-SW200BLK, Prestige PWG 08, and Sowrna Lakshmi are some of the top wet grinders in India, each with its own unique features and benefits. When choosing a wet grinder, it is important to consider factors such as capacity, motor power, number of grinding stones, material of the grinding stones, ease of use, and price. With these tips in mind, you can enjoy perfectly ground batters and pastes for all your favorite South Indian dishes. Happy grinding!